Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Time waits not for me


I used to think I had a full plate. That was before about two months ago when we decided to get a puppy. I've always been quite fond of the herding breeds, particularly the Austrailian Cattle Dog or Blue Heeler. When I lived out west we adopted a rescue ACD that was about 4 years old. She had been the sole companion for an elderly woman her entire life and never properly socialized. Long story short, she had several issues, and we had to find her a more suitable home. She's actually living a life of which I am quite envious. The retired couple who adopted her spend summers in British Columbia RVing and Sailing, and winter in Arizona. They had previous companions of the same breed that had spent their alotted time on this earth, and they fell in love with Hillary from the first moment.
In any event, we thought long and hard about getting a new dog. Now that we have our own home and a somewhat predictable routine, the time seemed right. I must mention that I am totally a dog person, while my fiance, however, is, or at least was not at all. Totally a cat person she was initially. Now don't get me wrong, I like cats a lot as well, but I prefer canines. Before we left the NW she spent a few days in Victoria, BC and saw what she thought was the cutest dog she had ever seen. She had said that if we ever get another dog, thats the kind she would want to try. Lucky for me it was a herder. So after much searching and contemplation in May we decided to get Gideon, our Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I will post a picture later today. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my photos at the moment.
He was about 4 months old when we brough him home and it was truly akin to bringing home a child. I know parents will caution me that there is no comparison, but until I have a child of my own, this comes pretty close to what I imagine, if perhaps of a slightly lower magnitude. So back to my point. I never grasped just how much attention this little guy craves. It is so rewarding even while draining at times. He is now approaching 6 months of age, he is getting more and more independent, yet still behaves like an adolescent of pushing his boundaries.
We have doggy doors and have given him virtually free run of the back yard, but on a few occasions he has come in soaking wet, from what we can only assume is a frolic in the decorative pond in the back yard. It's a constant see-saw of letting him come and go as he pleases, but keeping a close enough eye on him to discourage those sorts of things. I have to say that while its a bit of work, he really is pretty smart and catches on more readily than I would have figured. And my fiance, well I think she's becoming a dog person more and more each day, at least this dog's person. Now our mornings are a little busier and our evenings are a little less relaxed. But, I would like to think that I am less selfish than I was before(never realizing how self-centered I perhaps was). Gideon brings such joy and energy to our home. Who needs time anyways?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares