Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Like a bridge over...

It was one of those things you just happen across when you're not in a hurry to get somewhere. I was on my way to Portland to pick up someone at the airport and left early to take a different way into town, up through southern Washington, rather than the shortest route. While the drive itself was pretty, along the Columbia for a bit before turning inland through the hills, along the way I saw a sign for a covered bridge site.

I turned off the main road and meandered down a country blacktop for a couple of miles and there it was.

Driving up to the bridge

My first real covered bridge. I have seen them in photos and movies, but never in real life. Not
sure of the significance of covering them, though I've heard that the covering protects the main structure and more difficult to replace parts of the bridge from the elements so they don't need as much maintenance. Sounds good to me.

Inside the bridge


Anyway, it's a pretty cool site. The Gray's River Covered Bridge was built in 1905 and covered 5 years later and is the oldest covered bridge in the northwest.


The full picture

........
Oh, and the waters didn't seem so troubled that day.

2 Comments:

Blogger KathleenM said...

You got it right. We live in a wet climate and as the bridge is wooden, covering it reduces damage from the elements. This is a great little corner of WA. The more you look...the more you see...

2:16 AM  
Blogger IFly said...

I love that part of Washington and Oregon. I used to live in PA, but never got to spend time that far down the coast until lately. Thanks for confirming that about the bridge covers, I kinda figured it was something like that, plus they make them look that much nicer too.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares