Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Back to Oregon, metaphorically speaking.

While I am here in Toronto I thought I would contine to catch up a bit with the rest of my Oregon trip. I spent about three weeks there and did some flying, and a lot of waiting around the airport hoping for the rain to dissapate. There was also some time to explore, some days just enough to stick close to town and find those places that might otherwise be passed by.

Let me say that I love history, particularly the Civil War and any sort of fortification.
Forts, batteries, castles(not too many of those in the states unfortunately), battlegrounds, you name it. I only managed to visit Ft Stevens while I was in Astoria, as Ft Clatsop, the fort built and used by the Lewis and Clark expedition, had burned down last Fall and is in the process of being rebuilt.
Ft Stevens was the only military installation in the continental US to come under fire during World War II. It was built to protect the mouth of the Columbia River.
Mouth of the Columbia River from Battery 245

It's sort of like a bigger version of Ft DeSoto, one of my favorite places in the Tampa Bay area.
Battery Pratt at Ft Stevens, OR

Look closely, what's that crane doing out there? No it's not more beachfront condos. They're actually rebuilding the jetties protecting the shipping channel into the Columbia River.

Pacific Coast from Battery 245


*Just in case, if you want to see a bigger picture just click on any photo, the same goes for any photos on the blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares