Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Coming soon to a blog near you

Or maybe not near you, depends on where you are I guess. OK, I have less than two weeks before I head on the road again. This time I get to go to Alaska to carry seal observers. It should be fun. I have never been north of Vancouver, BC, much less flown up that way. I imagine that I will get some pretty cool photos, I am tempted to upgrade my camera, just a little tempted. I am also hoping that I have 'net access where I will be. It seems that it is something I have grown to take for granted, yet am faced with a strong possiblility that it won't be readily available. Keeping my fingers crossed. I must add however that a lack of Internet access isn't always a bad thing. I have noticed that, for example, last weekend when I was in Atlanta, the hotel wanted to charge $9.95 a day for Internet access. No Way. Even the Super 8 next door was giving it away for free. Unfortunately, or forutunately I was just a little too far away to get on that AP. While it was a minor inconvenience when those age old questions destined to cause stress and strife arise: so what do you want to do, or where do you want to eat. We had to resort to the old fashioned phone book and welcome guides and even in one instance *gasp* calling the concierge. Small price to pay to not feel compelled to read an email from work with some stress causing issue or the constant bad news from around the world. It was actually quite refreshing once I gave it some thought.
From Atlanta we ventured up to visit a relative in Western North Carolina. No net access there, to get there you have to go to "rural", and once you hit the blinking light turn left an go quite a bit further beyond. It was quite beautiful, her home nestled among the towering Poplars complete with babbling brook, or rushing stream, or there I guess they called it a branch. Anyway, you get my drift. It was nice, laid back, and a long way from the rat race. And the only time I even thought about net access is when we were trying to decide the best way to get back through Atlanta around rush hour.

I am sure I will find plenty of opportunities to leave the Net behind in Alaska, but it will be nice to be able to post and keep everyone up to date with the goings-on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares