Saturday, July 01, 2006

Sweet, where my heart is, my castle, on the range, es su casa, I gotta be talking 'bout home.

I am home from Toronto, nothing quite so humbling as simulator training. Now,finally a little time at home. Time to catch up on the honey-do list. The home I bought in Seminole Heights is my first home. I've lived in rentals my entire adult life. There was always something about each one that just bugged me. The colors were all wrong, the stove and refrigerator were in the wrong place, the living room windows didn't open all the way. And I couldn't change them. Another thing about rentals was the dreaded final walkthrough. Some landlords were quite cool, while others were white-glove nazi's. I am happy to say I always got back my deposit, but not without some stressing involved. I know that scratch was there when we moved in, but how did it not end up on the initial survey form. Arghh!
My home in Seminole Heights is a 2/1 bungalow with a nice deep lot. But like a lot of these homes we have a lot to do. Our first mistake was trying to restore the original built-in bookcases, after two to three weeks of stripping paint we discovered that at some point there was some pretty extensive damage to some of the shelves that had been puttied and painted over. So much for that beautiful original wood. A couple of coats of paint and you can't even tell we touched it. So much for the hard work.
We have a few projects in mind, we have to have a new kitchen. This one was last redone in RV Formica style, dark green and grey. The biggest single area of counter we have is about 28" wide. We also want to add on. The original house had a porch in back that was enclosed and partially air conditioned. What we have now is a "bonus room" and a laundry room, with a shed type roof. Let me stop here and say, the single biggest requirement for a healthy relationship is at least one extra bathroom. Perhaps I exaggerate a bit, but it can't be by much. Needless to say the addition will include at least a second bathroom to compliment the master bedroom. The last major project we have in mind, is the yard. We have a nice large yard, but its totally underenjoyed. We need to do something, because otherwise it's going to waste. Inclusive of that is frontyard makeover as well, remove the concrete and put in something more decorative and useful with a touch of complimentary landscaping. Should be fun.

I think I have done all the Oregon recap that I or anyone else can stand for now. I have a couple of pictures from the flight to Boulder, and maybe a few from the Boulder area then my blog should be sort of up-to-date with my schedule. I will throw in posts during my time home about my house, my neighborhood, or maybe some older trips, but mostly I will try to post things that are current when I am on the road. My next trip is to Alaska in August. That should have some pretty intersting photos. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

We redid our kitchen last year. Stripped it down to the bones. Tearing everything out took one day. Putting it back together took a year. Good luck. If you need to commiserate, you'll have a community full of do it your selfers to do it with!

3:41 PM  
Blogger IFly said...

The kitchen is going to be a major undertaking. Particularly, since we have no idea which way to go with it at the moment. It's a galley arrangement thats too wide for a galley kitchen, but with doorways that prevent any other setup without pretty major modification. We thought about taking out the wall between the dining room and the kitchen and opening it up and moving the doorway over but that's only one option.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares