Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Mmmmmmm Cheeeese


I heard the funniest statistic. The most visited "attraction" in Oregon is the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook. As a devotee to all things cheesy, of course it was on my "to-do" list. The first thing I noticed after exiting the car was the smell of dairy cows. I love the smell of manure in the morning. It really wasn't all that bad, but it certainly reminded me that I was smack dab in the middle of dairy country.



The production of cheese is a pretty interesting biochemical process, with the milking, curdling, aging etc..., but not much fun to watch I imagine, so, the observation level overlooking the factory floor is just a view of the packaging area. Look at the size of those blocks of cheese, fresh out of the aging room. I almost thought for a moment that I had died and gone to cheese heaven.


The production of cheese is a pretty slow process, but the packaging of it is speedy. Just look at that cheese go whizzing by.

After the tour they offered taste samples of some of the cheddars they make and a jalapeno jack. The most interesting sample though was of the unaged cheddar curd. It was quite yummy. To top off the tour I had to stop in for a cup of fresh Tillamook Ice Cream, I was adventurous and had the Marion Berry Pie, all I can say is "Wow" It was a little scoop of paradise. If you're ever near Tillamook, I recommend a stop into the factory, let's help keep Oregon's cheesiest attraction also it's most popular.

Next up I think I will post some various photos of the coast, and maybe a shot or two of Port Angeles, WA. I used to work there and had the opportunity to fly-in for a visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares