Sunday, June 18, 2006

Welcome to Astoria


I first heard of Astoria around the time I saw the movie the Goonies. Much of the movie was filmed in and around Astoria. It's a great town with a rich history. While I didn't do the official/unofficial Goonies tour, I did manage to visit a few of the sites that were featured in the movie. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera for the visit to the actual Goonies houses. I was here about 3 weeks and for all but a few days the sky looked very much like it does above. I think I saw the sun for whole day maybe once, and a few days it broke through for a couple of hours.


Here's the county jail which was featured in the film, I inadvertently took the picture with the focus set on infinity so its a little blurry.





A dominating feature of the town is the bridge to Washington that crosses the Columbia River. It kind of reminded me of the old Skyway bridge before the barge hit it. Except it's a single span with two way traffic.

I will add more photos once I have them scaled down to a more web-friendly size.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares