Monday, June 11, 2007

Al Dente and a Perfect Portion

Just finished watching the finale of Sopranos. It's been a great ride. Early on I never bought into the series because I only caught an episode here and there while in a hotel with some time to kill. About four years ago we opened a membership with NetFlix and started with Season 1, Episode 1, watching a dvd of episodes(usually two or three) on Friday night over beer and homemade pizza. "The Family" became like a member of our own little family. Close friends that came over to start the weekend off right. Once we caught up with the series we anxiously waited with the rest of America for each new season. Last year we ordered HBO just for the time the show aired. This year we did not. I caught the earlier episodes and missed a few in the middle, rejoining last week, and just in time for the finale tonight. Glad I did. I absolutely loved it.
There's been a lot of analysis about the series, and I will not attempt to duplicate or expound upon here, but the show had a touch of magic to be sure. It's like no matter how exotic a life one leads, in the end it's just full of the same ups and downs, small victories and petty bullshit. Most of us can relate all too well. I know I can, and I think that is why it struck such a chord with me,
For the finale, I will offer no spoilers, but to me it was precisely on target. And so this story of the North Jersey Family exits, poetically mundane, just as it should have been. Well played Mr. Chase, well played indeed. There will probably be a movie, but if anything I hope it's a prequel to the series. Not unlike an exquisite dining experience, the finale, like the series has left me delighted and satiated but not full. The perfect portion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares