Thursday, October 12, 2006

Back In Time Again

I was sifting through some older photos on the hard drive and came across some that my fiance took after Frances hit when we were living in Vero Beach. We evacuated to Tampa for both Frances and Jeanne. We were renting in Vero while I was in flight school and the first storm occurred right about the time I was to solo. Here's what we saw when following the storm from Tampa.


Meanwhile the rention pond at the house in Riverview where we were staying was almost surfable:


That 3 hour drive to Vero after Labor Day took us about 5 hours with traffic and detours. We had no idea what to expect.
Along the way, scenes such as these were commonplace:

Turning down our street after this long drive we were met with this:


All in all our house fared very well, with no damage to the integrity of the structure, so no belongings were lost. Unlike many of our neighbors we dodged a bullet. Virtually our entire neighborhood and most of that part of Florida would have blue roofs for the next year.



I've lived in Florida almost my whole life and this was my first hurricane. All told we were without power for the month of September for 22 days from the two storms. My flight training was put on hold but my fiance was required to report to work most of that time. Availability of supplies and every day conveniences was limited. We drove to Tampa almost every day because of our limited options for lodging, food and gas. We were blessed, so my heart went out to those who were impacted even more than we were. I hope Tampa continues it's lucky streak, here's to another season almost done.(Althought the fat lady hasn't sang yet!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost afraid to write about hurricane season this year. I have this strange and ridiculous feeling that I'll jinx us by writing about it! (I know, I know. But really, we all needed this break from the storms!)
(and someone find the fat lady and make sure she can't sing... EVER).

I didn't know you lived in Vero at the time the 4 hurricanes struck that year. My parents, relatives and some good friends of ours live in Stuart, and they also dodged the same bullet! But boy, they had a mess to clean up afterward. And going without power all those days/weeks is hard.

Great pics, and unfortunately, they all looked so familiar!

11:25 PM  
Blogger IFly said...

Thank goodness for El Nino this year I guess. I'm looking forward to a bit wetter winter too. Yeah, we were in Vero from that Summer until the following Spring, when we moved here to Tampa. Although during the storms we practically moved here too. When both Frances and Jeanne came over the area we felt like the darn things were chasing us personally. :-) Luckily since that season the storms haven't found us again.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares