Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Obnoxious Americans

I hate to make hasty judgements on a limited number of experiences, but I felt I had to say something about the kind of people that are representing us when they travel abroad.
This was my first trip to a non-English speaking country. I had taken 2 years of high school Spanish back in the late 80's and had not used it really since. Combine that with the fact that what I did learn was taught in a very very small rural high school, and, needless to say, my Spanish was a bit less than usable for most of my trip. With the patience of the locals and a little effort on my part, I was able to communicate most of the time. I have a new-found desire to reawaken those synapses and learn even more.
Loreto is a tourist destination, however it is not like Cabo or Cancun where one can speak exclusively English during their visit. That is, in my opinion, part of the attraction.
On with my observations. Most of the "Gringos" I encountered were from southern California or elsewhere. Too many dollars not enough sense if you get my meaning. They were snooty and rude, not so much to other gringos but to the locals. We had one lady come up to us while we were having lunch and ask if this was our first time here. When we responded yes, and how nice it was she proceeded to boast about her new home she was having built and made a juvenile taunt about how she was able to move here and we couldn't. We were total strangers and this is how she interacted with us. I assure you, I am not thin-skinned. This woman's behavior was atrocious. She exemplified the sort of Americans I encountered during my time in Baja. If this is the same sort of American visiting other parts of the world, it's no wonder people have such a low opinion of us. I understand our foreign policy hasn't won us any admirers either, but this sort of thing goes back well before GW came to power. Anyway, all I can say is, for those who travel abroad, you do represent all of us who come after you, please try to be on your best behavior.
Also understand that when you travel you may very well have to overcome prejudices based on previous travellers. We had one member of our party who has lived several years in Baja, and several others that were quite fluent in Spanish. The waiter made a comment while we were ordering that was insulting, not thinking that a group of gringos would even know what he said. He was flustered, and a bit embarassed when this person called him out.

Just remember a little courtesy and respect go a long way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I suspect it has a lot to do with the location. I dare say Mexico gets a lot of "let's go to the beach and get hammered" travelers, who are probably no less rude at home.

Once you start going to farther-flung places I think the manners improve. The trips are more expensive, so the traveleres are likely seasoned travelers who know the drill.

The reason to travel changes, too - anyone visiting Europe is probably after a lot of art and culture, and those people again know the drill.

I can back that up by saying that in my several trips to Europe, the three or four most obnoxious travelers I encountered were all from the UK. France to them is like Mexico for us - a short, cheap trip to go get hammered.

Also do keep in mind that it's easier to spot a rude tourist when you can understand them. I myself may have missed a couple of horror travelers because I didn't know what they were saying (though the gestures are usually a universal giveaway). You're also particularly sensitive to the rude American because of the stigma.

Ultimately all you can do is be the polite, friendly American, in the hope that you'll make them think twice before assuming we're all idiots. It's a tough battle, but a worthy one.

2:04 PM  
Blogger IFly said...

You might be right, but it was quite disappointing to say the least. To think that the impression these people must be leaving on the locals and tourists from elsewhere. I am looking forward to day I have the chance to do more "research" in places like Europe or the islands :-).

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with iFly's assessment on obnoxious Americans traveling overseas or foreign countries. We have a long way to go in learning the proper etiquette. I am a professional pilot, travel the world and observe many of the same stuff.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares